this ultra delicious and ultra healthy side dish is a great accompaniment to any main dish - be it chicken, fish, or red meat. pan roasted broccoli is cooked every so quickly then with the addition of tamari, red pepper flakes and sliced almonds its transformed into a light asian inspired side.
pan seared broccoli with almonds
- 1 head of broccoli - florets separated from large stalk, washed, still wet
- 15 whole raw almonds roughly chopped (or 1/8 cup slivered almonds)
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 small garlic clove - minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt + pepper to taste
heat olive oil in large pan over med-high heat, throw in broccoli. cook 5-8 minutes, until broccoli turns bright green and just begins to brown. add in tamari, red pepper flakes, garlic and season with salt + pepper. toss around pan so that broccoli is evenly coated, then add in almonds. at this point i typically add in 1-2 tbsp of water to get the broccoli just to the bite i like. remove from heat, serve immediately or place in the fridge for a cold broccoli salad later.