on another note - you have likely noticed the ceramic ware by liz benotti that i've been tagging in my postings. she is quite an amazing gal - an extremely talented artist, baker, cook and is savvy when it comes to all things green. liz recently put together her own blog - Once Upon a Tomato it features artwork, food, and other wonderful considerations. i highly recommend trying the recipe on her most recent post good + simple squash pie. she whipped together a gluten free + dairy free version of this squash pie last thanksgiving. it was insanely good. stop by her blog and take a peek!
|eat your heart out.|
- 1 28oz can fire crushed fire roasted tomatoes (i like muir glen organic brand)
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1-2 tbsp cane sugar
- 3 portobello mushrooms cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 c chopped kalamata olives
- 1/4 c chopped spanish olives (with pimentos)
- fresh basil to taste julienned
- fresh oregano to taste finely chopped
- kosher salt + pepper to taste
- 1 c rinsed quinoa
- 1.5 c vegetable stock
- salt + pepper to taste
this is a feel good meal - packed with protein and vitamins. remember you eat with your eyes first - the vibrant colors of this dish make it a masterpiece. on the taste front, its nothing short of a palate pleaser.
stop by Allergy Friendly Wednesdays to peruse allergy friendly recipes!