the trick to making a light + yummy gluten/dairy free scone (other than using a pastry cutter) is to not overwork the dough. only combine wet ingredients with dry until just combined. when getting ready to place the scones on the baking sheet dont man-handle the dough. i used a 1/3 measuring cup to plop them onto the baking sheet - no dusting with extra flour, no forming into the typical scone shape - let them form an organic shape on their own. trust me, this works! who said scones have to be triangular anyway?
- btw swing by Walnut-Ave. + Paisley Passions + Food-Soil-Thread to check out their recipes and projects!
orange + cranberry scones
- 1 c gluten free flour mix (WITHOUT guar or xanthan gum - i used king arthur brand a/p)
- 1 c sorghum flour
- 1/4 c cane sugar
- 1/2 c cold palm shortening
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 + 1/4 tsp guar gum (or xanthan gum)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 c dried cranberries
- 2 eggs
- 1/6 cup hemp milk (i used tempt unsweetened vanilla)
- 1/6 cup rice milk (i used whole foods 365 brand unsweetened rice milk)
- 1 tbsp freshly/finely grated orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- decorating sugar (optional)
pour wet ingredients on top of dry ingredients and gently stir until just combined. with a 1/3 measuring cup scoop out mixture and place on a parchment lined baking sheet - spacing scones around 2-3 inches apart - this should yield 8 scones. BEFORE placing scones in the oven let them rest on the baking sheet for 15 minutes. if desired, sprinkle decorating sugar on top of the scones before placing them into the oven. bake for 14-16 minutes - until tops of scones are golden brown and inserted toothpick comes out from center of scone. allow to cool on sheet 2 minutes - then transfer to cooling rack.
best enjoyed warm while sitting down, standing up, laying down, etc.