i was at whole foods on saturday getting stuff for a dinner party - and my boyfriend picked up a delicious looking irish soda bread. oh, the envy. i decided to attempt my own gluten and diary free version. while at the store i picked up a package of bob's red mill sorghum flour. its a 'sweeter' flour thats perfect for baking. i decided that i would combine it with my a/p gluten free flour blend to avoid that waaaay ricey/tapiocaish taste. it worked brilliantly.
|top o' the morn|
irish soda bread
- 1+1/4 c gluten free flour blend (containing either guar or xanthan gum)
- 3/4 c sorghum flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp guar gum (or xantham if you can have it)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1+1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 5 tbsp palm shortening (or vegetable shortening)
- 1/2 c hemp milk + 1/4 c rice milk combined with 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (plus more hemp milk if needed)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 luke warm water
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 c raisins
- decorative sugar (optional)
serve up warm with dairy free margarine.
now, if only i could find a yeast free, hops free, gluten free beer.....dream on katie, dream on.
check out more allergy friendly recipes here:
allergy friendly wednesdays
allergy-free vintage cookery