i've been making lentil soup on a weekly basis since thanksgiving. while i was back in boston my best girl liz reintroduced me to lentils. i crave them now. i make a huge pot of lentil soup every weekend and bring it to work a few times a week for lunch. to change things up - i sometimes eat this on top of steamed brown rice with a helping of salsa. this is a great soup to use for a detox too - super duper healthy.
- 1/2 c green lentils - picked over
- 1/2 c pink lentils - picked over
- 2.5 c chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots - cleaned and chopped
- 2 celery stalks - chopped
- kosher salt + pepper
in a large sauce pan heat olive oil over medium heat - saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery until they onion & celery become translucent. season with salt and pepper - add lentils and stock and bring to a boil. turn heat down and add tomatoes - simmer for 45 minutes.